Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Woah, Baby!

Emmylou Elyse Yates Lindsey was born on Friday, May 27, 2011. She weighed 8 lbs, 6 oz and was 21" long. Moments after arriving at Target, I noticed my leggings were uncomfortably wet. What just happened? Was that my water breaking? Rushed to the restroom to double check, and eventually decided it was best to contact Dr. Patolia to get her opinion.
Lets rewind a bit.. On Thursday evening, I had started to have cramps that felt similar to the cramps I got when the doctor checked to see how dilated/effaced I was, which is what she said early labor would feel like. These cramps continued into Friday, but I was feeling productive and decided to ignore the discomfort. As usual, there were a million things on the to-do list that must get done. Having a baby suddenly topped that list.
When I called the doctor, she instructed me to go ahead to the hospital. I wanted to pick Alan up first (and was still doubting that I was in labor) and also pick up my hospital bag, but mom insisted we get to the hospital after retrieving the bag. So we sent dad to pick up Alan. That turned out to be a good idea, as my amniotic fluid began leaking everywhere, and it ended up taking two hours for Alan and dad to get to the hospital because of Memorial Day traffic. By the time they came, I was getting the epidural and had been started on pitocin. Uncle Chris, Shannon and their boys arrived at the same time. It was about 5pm, and time to sit and wait, and try to rest (and update Facebook). At 9:30, I was 9.5cm dilated and 100% effaced. 30 minutes later I started pushing, and at 10:35 pm Emmylou was born! The nurse had just opened the door to call a doctor down the hall to deliver the baby, but in rushed Dr. Patolia.
Alan and me, before Emmylou was born

Emmylou's first picture!


She couldn't be more perfect. It is unbelievable to me that she is mine, that she grew in me for nine months. I don't want to miss anything, she's changing so fast! We seem to have come so far from her being in my belly, and I do miss those days. I've already forgotten how inconvenient and heavy that belly was. I want time to stand still so I can spend forever in today. I'm so happy I have a camera and video camera to capture the most wonderful moments of my life: my little girl doing anything or nothing, my husband becoming a father, my parents becoming grandparents, my brother becoming uncle rowdy, and a love that knows no bounds.

Spilling over with love,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment